Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Book Of Coupons

A Book of Coupons. Written by Susie Morgenstern. Viking, 2001. ISBN 0-670-89970-4. 62 pages. $12.99.

Brief Plot Description: The new teacher, Hubert Noel, was not a new teacher at all and he was not what all the children were expecting.  He was old and fat and had messy white hair.  The first thing the teacher passed out to the children was a book of coupons.  There were coupons in there to miss a day of school, to forget your homework, to sleep late and even one to tell a lie.  The children were thrilled when they were able to do what they wanted and not get in trouble for it.  Many children used as many of their coupons as they could right away and some horded them or traded them for more. 
            One day one of the children got up in class and started dancing.  That gave the teacher an idea and he started dancing as well.  When the principle came into the classroom he started dancing with her and she was not happy.  Monsieur Noel got in trouble.  When the children all decided to use the “making a lot of noise” coupon on the same day the principle once again walked in on the class and the teacher once again got in trouble.  When Monsieur got in trouble one more time he was asked to leave his position.  On the last day of school the children gave their teacher a huge coupon that read “One coupon for a happy and well-deserved retirement.”
Genre: Humor, Fiction
Interest: Ages 8 - 12
Similar Works: King of Shadows (2001), In Business with Mallory (2006)
Personal thoughts: I thought this book was great.  I clip coupons and I thought it might be a funny story about that but I was all wrong.  I like the way the children saw that their teacher was a good person trying to do good things.  I wish I had a teacher that gave us coupons like these when I was younger.  I saw when I was younger because I love school now (I better too because I'm paying for it!!).  But when I was younger it would have been nice to have a day off and tell my parents that I have a coupon for it.  But then again if in the future my children try to pull that on me I won't listen to them and I will make them go to school.
Reasons for Selection: This book is an ALA Notable Book and has been on many book lists.  It also received a favorable review in the School Library Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment