Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key. Written by Jack Gantos. Harper Trophy, 1998. ISBN 0-06-440833-2. 150 pages. $5.99.

Brief Plot Description:
I seems as if all Joey Pigza can do these days is try. He tries to follow his Mom’s rules, he tries to show his teacher he doesn’t need to go to the special education class, and he tries to be normal like the other kids. No matter what he does, he just can’t seem to get it right. He’s constantly in the middle of a catastrophe, starting with the day he swallowed his house key in school. Grandma says he’s wired wrong, just like his Father, whom Joey would really like to meet. His Mom, who is back in his life after and extended absence, thinks he just needs the right thoughts to counteract the bad ones that get him in trouble. Through it all, Joey manages to make us laugh, and the reader can’t help but love this hyper active character.


Interest Level:
Ages 10 and up

Similar Books:
This series has four other novels in it. Joey Pigza, I am Not Joey Pigza, What Would Joey Do, and Joey Pigza Loses Control.

Personal Thoughts:
This novel deals with issues that many kids might be facing and are uncomfortable talking about. This book can appeal to young readers on so many levels; students with learning disabilities, those who may be dealing with issues at home, and kids who feel like they just don’t fit in. I think this is a great recommendation for young boys may be reluctant readers. There’s some gross out scenes that will amuse them, and general overall silliness that will entertain them form beginning to end.

Reason for Selection:

I wanted to choose some contemporary books that appeal to both boys and girls. I heard about this series from the reading assignments in Naked Reading for class. I wrote down titles as ideas for my digital record log, and used those recommendations to choose some of the books for the genre project.


No comments:

Post a Comment